Friday, March 21, 2008

P R O C R A S T I N A T I O N

"to put off, usually habitually doing something that should be done. syn dawdle, delay"

I think it should say:

"to put off, avoidance of something you don't want to do, doing anything in order to delay what is seen as needing to be done"

Which makes me think, what really is behind procrastination? Is it just putting off something - anything? Is it random? Or do we avoid the things we don't want to do and do the things we want in a more timely manner? Or, as Stephen Covey says, do we merely do the Urgent, what's in front of us right now (and usually unimportant) and put off the non-urgent (and usually more Important)? Procrastination is like the Grand Excuse. General, Overarching, Comprehensive - it can apply to almost anthing.

My question is, what and why do you procrastinate ?
  • Calling people - because every time I pick up the phone everyone in the house finds me and starts talking to me like they don't see I'm on the phone.
  • Checking voice mail messages - because I just don't want to and besides, everyone knows I don't check them.
  • Cleaning my house - because it's just messy again in 10 minutes.
  • Going to bed - because I should be cleaning my house.
  • Writing that paper - because I feel like I need many hours of uninterrupted time to be creative and when am I ever going to get that?
  • Marketing myself - because I've just plain run out of energy.
  • Making dinner - I have to eat again?
What's your excuse?

1 comment:

@MuseKaren said...

Exercising - because I just don't want to sweat.